Thursday, March 5, 2009

Psalm 141

A Psalm of David.
1 O Lord, I call upon you; hasten to me!
Give ear to my voice when I call to you!
2 Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!
3 Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
keep watch over the door of my lips!
4 Do not let my heart incline to any evil,
to busy myself with wicked deeds
in company with men who work iniquity,
and let me not eat of their delicacies!
5 Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness;
let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head;
let my head not refuse it.
Yet my prayer is continually against their evil deeds.
6 When their judges are thrown over the cliff,
then they shall hear my words, for they are pleasant.
7 As when one plows and breaks up the earth,
so shall our bones be scattered at the mouth of Sheol.
8 But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!
9 Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me
and from the snares of evildoers!
10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I pass by safely.

State what is happening in verses 1&2 in your own words.
What is David doing? What does David want from God? Have you ever felt like this?
Note: In ancient Israel a sacrifice was offered up at the end of the day as a final act of worship. Here David requests that his prayers rise up to the Lord in the same way the incense and smoke from the sacrifice rise up to the Lord. The New Testament grabs this imagery as well: Revelation 5:8 speaks of “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints’, and Hebrews 13:15 speaks of the ‘sacrifice of praise.’

What does David ask for in verse 3? Why would he ask that? Would you?
Note: Derek Kidner comments: “the request…grows naturally out of verse 2 with its concern for a pure offering of prayer. Out of the same mouth there must not flow both blessing and cursing (cf. verse 3 with James 3:9); and if the house of God needed its guards and doorkeepers, how much more the man of God!”

What does David ask for in verse 4? In verse 3 David’s concern was with his lips (what he says). How does his concern shift in verse 4? What does this tell us about David’s desires for his life? How much influence is he asking God to exert in his inclinations and decisions? Do you feel like you are in a place to pray this way?
Note: to eat with someone in the near east was to share fellowship with them. David is concerned with engaging in the social cues of the day that would indicate, “I’m one of you guys.” He doesn’t want to tie himself in socially with those who do evil. Do you feel this concern in your life? Who do you associate yourself with at the deepest levels?

In verse 4 David did not want the delicacies of the wicked. Yet in verse 5 he welcomes something from the righteous – what is it? What does he mean by this (see Proverbs 27:6)? How do you handle criticism and rebuke from godly people?

In verse 6 the language is a little idiomatic. David asserts that the day will come when the rulers (judges) of the wicked will be destroyed. There will be a day when their evil catches up with them. In that day, David’s decisions to listen to righteousness and not fraternize with evil will be vindicated. Then the followers of the evil ones will be willing to listen to David.

In verse 7 and following David acknowledges that, though he believes he will be vindicated, he is still very much in a dangerous place. He has enemies who want to hurt him. He is not safe. But notice his decision in verse 8. What does David determine to do while the wicked flourish? Do you speak this way when you are stressed, or do you lose hope? What are some things you are concerned about this week? Are you trusting God? David prayed for help and for the ability to act righteously even when no one around him seemed to value that kind of lifestyle. Are you willing to pray like that? Consider doing that now. Consider asking for a friend who can righteously rebuke you as well!