Monday, March 9, 2009

Psalm 30

A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple of David.

  • Notice the subscription before you begin reading the Psalm. What is the purpose of this Psalm? Begin reading, and read through the entire psalm.

    1 I will exalt you, O LORD
    for you lifted me out of the depths
    and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

    2O LORD my God, I called to you for help
    and you healed me.

    3O LORD, you brought me up from the grave;
    you spared me from going down into the pit.

    4
    Sing to the LORD, you saints of his;
    praise his holy name.

    5
    For his anger lasts only a moment,
    but his favor lasts a lifetime;
    weeping may remain for a night,
    but rejoicing comes in the morning.

    6
    When I felt secure, I said,
    "I will never be shaken."

    7
    O LORD, when you favored me,
    you made my mountain stand firm;
    but when you hid your face,
    I was dismayed.

    8
    To you, O LORD, I called;
    to the Lord I cried for mercy:

    9
    "What gain is there in my destruction,
    in my going down into the pit?
    Will the dust praise you?
    Will it proclaim your faithfulness?

    10
    Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
    O LORD, be my help."

    11
    You turned my wailing into dancing;
    you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

    12
    that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

  • Read verses 1-3. What verbs do you see that show God’s actions toward David?
  • How do you think God’s protection over David’s life would affect David's dependence on God? Hold onto that thought for a moment.
  • The word “For” at the beginning of verse 5 implies that verse 4 occurs because of verse 5. Read verse 4 and 5 together. From these two verses, what is your conclusion as to why we can sing while in sorrow, or rejoice while in suffering?
  • How long does God’s anger last? How long does his favor last?
  • David says in verse 6, “When I felt secure, I said, ‘I will never be shaken.’” The Lord has sustained David, but whom is David depending on?
  • Stop and consider how dependable the LORD is. Is there any reason to continue depending on our own shallow understanding and our own strength over His? (Prov. 20:24)
  • Verse 7 shows the stark contrast between God showing His favor and God hiding his face.
  • Read verse 9. What is David’s reasoning for God to hold off his destruction? Can you hear his heart? He says, “Will the dust praise you?” David is more concerned about God’s praise than his own well being, and ultimately his life.
  • The two verses that surround verse 9 are cries for mercy. David’s heart is passionate about receiving God’s mercy so that praises will continue to flow from his lips.
  • The psalm ends (v.12) with joy leaping off the page. David acknowledges God as the giver of his dance, his joy and his song.
  • Praise your merciful God who created you and sustains you so that you can bring Glory to His Name. Praise Him today with joyful song and dancing!