Monday, January 26, 2009

Psalm 16

A Miktam of David.


1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.

2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;

I have no good apart from you.”

3As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,

in whom is all my delight.

4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;

their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out

or take their names on my lips.

5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;

you hold my lot.

6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;

indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;

in the night also my heart instructs me.

8 I have set the Lord always before me;

because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;

my flesh also dwells secure.

10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,

or let your holy one see corruption.

11 You make known to me the path of life;

in your presence there is fullness of joy;

at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.


  1. Read the psalm a few times – what stands out to you?

  2. Make a note of:

    1. what David says he does and what is true of him (ex. In v.1 he says that he takes refuge in God)

    2. what he says others do (v.4) and what is true of them

    3. what God does and what is true of Him

  3. Think about yourself as you write. Is what is true of David true also of you? What comforts does that bring you? Consider thanking God for these things!

  4. If you do not trust and bless the Lord like David does – why not? What holds you back? Consider talking directly to the Lord about this and asking Him to help you trust Him more.

Notes:

v.1 – “Miktam” – the meaning of this term is uncertain. It is apparently derived from a verb meaning “to cover” and could indicate psalms dealing with protection (covering) from one’s enemies or psalms recited silently (with lips covering the mouth).


v.10 – “Sheol” is the place of death. It could also be translated “the grave.”


New Testament: “Verses 8-11 were cited by Peter (Acts 2:25-28) and Psalm 16:10b was quoted by Paul (Acts 13:35-37) in reference to Christ’s resurrection. So the words of David transcend his own experience and became historically true in Christ. Preservation from the decaying grave is the idea behind both David’s and Jesus’ experiences, but with David it came through a deliverance from death, whereas with Jesus it came through a resurrection from death.


Death posed no threat to David because he enjoyed great blessing and fellowship with the Lord. God would not permit death and the grave to interrupt that marvelous fellowship. So in a fuller sense this is true of believers today, who having the full revelation about the doctrine of resurrection, can say that even when they die, God will not let death destroy that full fellowship they enjoy with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:8; Phil. 1:23). This expression of faith is possible because Christ conquered death (Luke 24:6) and rose to become the firstfruits of all who sleep (1 Cor. 15:20).” quoted from The Bible Knowledge Commentary.