Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Psalms 23

The psalm is written consistently from the perspective of the sheep; that is, its expression of trust and confidence presupposes an awareness of helplessness and need on the part of the one who trusts. In a distinctive fashion, the psalmist has set forth the fundamentals of the covenant relationship, not in terms of Lord and servant, but in the more intimate language of shepherd and sheep. - Peter Craigie


Psalm 23 is arguably the most famous Psalm in our Bible. It is filled with rich imagery.

When I was a student in college I would write this psalm over and over again in my notes.

I would ponder each line as I walked from my bus stop to Evans library. You could spend your whole week here, just thinking about the real-world implications of the metaphors David provides. Consider answering the question after each line: What does this metaphor mean for my life today? What does it mean that God is my shepherd? What does that mean he does for his people?

A shepherd leads his sheep to green pastures. What does that mean God does for me?

Enjoy taking time with this one!

Note: When David writes “I shall not want,” this does not mean that the Lord is a shepherd that David doesn’t really want. It means that because God is taking care of him, David has no “wants.” When God leads, David is amply provided for.


A Psalm of David.

1The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.

2He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

3He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


1. In verses 2&3 underline the verbs. What does the LORD do for His sheep? Try restating each line in your own words.


2. According to verse 3 why does He do it?


God cares for his people, restores them, and guides them down the right path all for one reason: His glory. To glorify Himself, He amply provides for His children. That means that our chief way to glorify or worship God is to allow him to guide us and provide for us. When we submit to God as our shepherd then we can know (1) that He will care for us and (2) that we will honor Him! This is a glorious thought. Our satisfaction and God’s glory are not at odds!

This does not mean we do whatever we want though. Letting God shepherd us means we submit to His word and sometimes that road, as we see in verse 4, will lead us into the darkest of times. Yet even when life is difficult, God promises sweet comfort to us. Note the sheep’s response to the dark stretch of road when he knows that the shepherd is there, guiding him.


Parting Thought: In the New Testament, Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep” (John 10:11). Jesus guides His people and provides for them. His death was His ultimate provision for His sheep, ensuring that death will not be the final chapter for his people, but they will journey through death and make it to God’s great celebration in eternity!