Thursday, January 22, 2009

Psalm 40: 1-8

Worthy to be Trusted
1I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

2He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

3He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

4Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.

5Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

6Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but my ears you have pierced;
burnt offerings and sin offerings
you did not require.

7Then I said, "Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll.

8I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."

Read Psalm 40:1-8 two times. (The psalm has seventeen verses in total, we will only focus on the first eight today.)
In verse one, what is David doing? How is he waiting?
List all the verbs in verses 1-3 that are used to tell us how the Lord responds to David in his waiting. After reading all of the Lord’s responses that you just wrote down, look at verses 3-4.
Psalm 40:3b “Many will see and fear, and put their _______ in the Lord.”
Psalm 40:4a “Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his ________.”

Think of something in your life right now that requires you to patiently wait. In the moments of waiting, are you fixing your eyes on the Lord and hoping in Him to provide for you even to the smallest detail?

Read verse 40:5. Stop and consider what this means for your life. Do you trust that the Lord is in control of your life, and that He has plans?

How does this trust and confidence in the Lord’s plans stir the heart of David in verse 40:8?

Summary:

David explains that he was delivered from a tough spot. The Lord “set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand” (v.2) He goes on to say, others will “see and fear and put their trust in the Lord” (v. 3). He also calls the man blessed “who makes the Lord his trust” (v. 4) Lastly, this trust in the Lord’s plans evokes deeply rooted surrender to do the Lord’s will (v. 8). How does being delivered turn into an act of surrendering? David is surrendered because he deeply trusts. Before you ask yourself, why is my life not more surrendered to the Lord, ask yourself if you truly trust Him. Trust in God, brings about trust in His plans. Trust in His plans, may often alter your own. When your plans are in the Lord’s hands, you are able to walk freely and confidently in Him.