Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Psalm 4

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.

1Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have given me relief when I was in distress.
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
2O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
3But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him.
4Be angry, and do not sin;
ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
5Offer right sacrifices,
and put your trust in the Lord.
6There are many who say, “Who will show us some good?
Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”
7You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.
8In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.


If you’ve been tracking David’s life along with us on Tuesday nights, then you know that he was constantly under assault by Saul and his men. There were thousands of people who were out to kill him, even when he had done no wrong. The stress of being pursued, maligned and attacked by enemies followed David for the majority of his life (this is why so many of his psalms mention enemies!).

Notice how David deals with this pressure. Who does he turn to? With what knowledge does he comfort himself? What actions does he call himself to do? How does the tone of his letter shift from verse 1 to verses 7-8? Do you sense a calming of David as he grips these realities about God? Have you ever tried this? What injustices are you suffering? What do you consider doing when someone has wronged you? Do you trust God and see him as your joy, even in the midst of difficult circumstances?

The word “Selah” found in this psalm and many others is probably a signal to the choirmaster for a musical interlude or change in instrumentation. Many believe that this inclusion of this instrumental moment provides the listener with time to reflect on the words just sung. Therefore many readers see the word “selah” as a signal to pause and ponder the words that had just been spoken and truly let them sink in. Consider doing this as you read. Pause and consider David’s words and their ramifications. Repeat these segments to yourself. Then consider memorizing this psalm!