Monday, February 2, 2009

Psalm 59

1Deliver me from my enemies, O God; protect me from those who rise up against me.
2Deliver me from evildoers and save me from bloodthirsty men.
3See how they lie in wait for me! Fierce men conspire against me for no offense or sin of mine, O LORD.
4I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me. Arise to help me; look on my plight!
5O LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel, rouse yourself to punish all the nations; show no mercy to wicked traitors. Selah
6They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.
7See what they spew from their mouths, they spew out swords from their lips, and they say, "Who can hear us?"
8But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you scoff at all those nations.
9O my Strength, I watch for you; you, O God, are my fortress, 10my loving God. God will go before me and will let me gloat over those who slander me.
11But do not kill them, O Lord our shield, or my people will forget. In your might make them wander about, and bring them down.
12For the sins of their mouths, or the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. For the curses and lies they utter,
13consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more. Then it will be known to the ends of the earth that God rules over Jacob. Selah
14They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.
15They wander about for food and howl if not satisfied.
16But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
17O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.

  • Read the entire Psalm. When David writes this psalm, He is in his house with his wife. Saul has sent men to surround the house. They are waiting with the hopes of killing David in the morning when he rises. It appears as though he is near death.
  • Read verses 9, 16, and 17.
  • You can see David’s absolute confidence in God’s ability to protect. How many times does David call the Lord his fortress?
  • In each verse, you see “fortress” coupled with God’s love. Read each of the verses again and see the way David understand God as both “strong” and “loving”.
  • In verse 16, David is able to “sing” of the Lord’s love, “for” (or because) the Lord is his fortress.
  • Does the Lord’s ability to protect you and provide for you deepen your love for Him? The more we see who He is, the more we love Him. What attribute of God are you most in awe of? Meditate on how incredible your Father is today.