Friday, February 20, 2009

Psalm 51

Read the text and then interact with the questions below. Consider reading 2 Samuel 11 & 12 in order to grasp the circumstances in which David utters this prayer.

51 TO THE CHOIRMASTER. A PSALM OF DAVID, WHEN NATHAN THE PROPHET WENT TO HIM, AFTER HE HAD GONE IN TO BATHSHEBA.

1Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
2Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!
3For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
4Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
and blameless in your judgment.
5Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.
7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
9Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
10Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
11Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
14Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
O God of my salvation,
And my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.
15O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
16For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
18Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
build up the walls of Jerusalem;
19then will you delight in right sacrifices,
in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Notes:
1. The cry “have mercy” reveals that David understands that he has no claim on the pardon he seeks. He is asking God to extend undeserved kindness. However the term “steadfast love” is a covenant word. David understands that, though unworthy, he still has a relationship with God because of God’s covenantal love. A great New Testament parallel would be the prodigal son crying out, “Father, I am not worthy to be called your son…”
2. David employs language from the laundry. He is a soiled garment that must be cleansed.
4. David sees that his sin, at the root, is a violation of God. He also feels that God is entirely justified in condemning him. No one would find fault in God if God punished David.
5. David acknowledges that “sin” is not just an indecent act, but rather a human condition. We are “sinful” from birth, and sins come forth from us. This tragedy flowed from his very nature.
7. cleansing with hyssop alludes to the cleansing of lepers (Leviticus 14:6) or the ritual cleansing of those who touched a dead body and had thus become “unclean” (Numbers 19:16-19).
11. David’s concern recalls God’s removal of His Spirit from Saul, the previous king (1 Samuel 16:14). After Christ’s provision of the Spirit for the believer, this removal of the Spirit is not a possibility, though sinful actions can significantly hinder intimacy with God and incite God’s discipline.
13. This rhythm of restoration leading to instruction played out in the life of Peter (Luke 22:32).

Questions:
What is David asking for in verses 1 & 2?
What aspect of God’s character is he appealing to?

What does he acknowledge about his situation in verses 3 & 4?
What does verse 5 reveal to us about David’s understanding of his basic nature as a human being?

What does David understand that God wants for him (v.6)?
How is this accomplished? What does David see he needs (vv.7-12)?

How can David experience joy again after his tremendous failure (v.12)?
What does he believe will follow after God forgives him (vv.13-15)?

In verses 16 & 17 David acknowledges both (1) what God wants and (2) what God does not want from sinful people. What does David see?

What does David see as a result if God extends forgiveness (vv.18-19)?

Final Thoughts:
Some read this Psalm and feel David’s disgust at his actions. They can empathize with his feelings of shame and join him in the longing that God will forgive and restore. The good news is that God does forgive David and even bless him in the future!

Others read this with a sense of frustration. They read Nathan’s pronouncement in 2 Samuel that David’s sins are taken away the instant he repents. Some cry out, “That isn’t fair! He kills a guy and he gets off! Where is the justice?” Some are deeply bothered by this. Fortunately, the New Testament remedies this for us. In Romans 3:25-26 Paul tells us that God did exact punishment. He did require atonement for all the sins that were committed before the arrival of Jesus. These sins were paid for on the cross by Christ. The Son of David, Jesus Christ, paid for the sins of David. This gives us hope when we sin as well. The true believer will weep over sin, but there is hope. For those who trust in Christ there is a covenant, a bond of steadfast love, between them and the Lord. He will forgive, and he will restore.